More than words: Can Canada's dying languages be saved?

More than words: Can Canada's dying languages be saved?

by Kumu ʻAlika -
Number of replies: 2
"...It's not the social workers that'll help, it's the language. If you know your language, you know who you are," she says....(more).

Success stories
Podcast
Statistics

na Kumu ?Alika

In reply to Kumu ʻAlika

Re: More than words: Can Canada's dying languages be saved?

by Deleted user -

mahalo nui loa e kumu 'alika for sharing this article.  i finally had time to read through it and it touched me deeply as i am learning hawaiian language to teach my son.  even though i am not native hawaiian and not living in hawaii, i feel very deeply the importance to share with my son his hawaiian culture through his language.  i'm not sure where our path will take us and if we will ever return to hawaii, but i want him to know he can be hawaiian in his heart and through his words.  he will know who he is through his language. 

In reply to Deleted user

Re: More than words: Can Canada's dying languages be saved?

by Kumu ʻAlika -
Mahalo e ?Ailina for your feedback on this very touching article.  I commend you on your dedication to your keiki k?ne as the "language is the fiber that binds us to our cultural identity." (motto of Ka Haka ?Ula O Ke?elik?lani College of Hawaiian Language at UH Hilo).  I mua!  ;-)

na Kumu ?Alika

P.S. A visual representation of said motto will be posted online shortly.  Will let everyone know when it is posted.