Skype and Keeping your Computer Virus Free

Skype and Keeping your Computer Virus Free

by Admin Niuolahiki -
Number of replies: 1
It has been brought to my attention by a student in the Niuolahiki program, that certain behaviors while on Skype can put your computer system at risk when using Skype. Since we are all getting ready for kolekole ?auki? via Skype, I want to make everyone aware of this.

Using Skype for computer to computer calls, like we do for the kolekole ?auki? is fine. You can call each other worry free.

HOWEVER, I highly reccommend that you immediately cease sending attachements via Skype. Sending or accepting attachments via Skype puts your computer at risk for contracting viruses. This is an excerpt of the email I got.
What I want to tell you is that the viruses and trojans were traced to Skype. My study partner sends me study files and pictures to discuss when we practice via skype attachments. And, somehow that is what happened to my computer. Skype seems to by-pass my McAfee system and Windows Firewall and it is a long story as to how we found it, but there are settings on skype that we traced and there were the pop-ups and the add-ons that took on a mind of their own on my skype program, and the morphed everyday into something else and went somewhere else in my files! So, we have to assume that the problem came via skype.

We are not sure how the MAC operating system is affected. So to be safe, never trust attachments, even from people you know. It is a good idea for all of you to install some kind of anti-virus software on your computer. Then scan attachments you receive. Its an extra step, but will save you the big headache of getting rid of viruses and trojans that could send your computer crashing.