Arapaho Tribe Teaches the Young

Arapaho Tribe Teaches the Young

by Kumu ʻAlika -
Number of replies: 2
Aloha e n? haum?na maika?i o Niuolahiki!

The article Arapaho Tribe Teaches the Young was forwarded to employees of ?Aha P?nana Leo by N?maka Rawlins and reiterates the fact that language revitalization is much deeper and more meaningful than just being able to speak for the sake speaking.  Embedded in the language are the values and worldview of the k?puna.  The language is not just a fad but a way life albeit sometimes very difficult considering the world we live in today, even here in Hawai?i.  It is indeed a struggle for many.

The short audio slideshow is very powerful as well.  Please review the article and slideshow when time permits.

Laki maika?i i ka po?e Arapaho.  ?O ke Akua p? me l?kou.  E ola n? ??lelo ??iwi a e noke mau k?kou.

na Kumu ?Alika

Note: The article unintentionally classified our Hawaiian immersion program as an "Indian Immersion School" which would imply that Hawaiians are Native Americans, of which Hawaiians are not.  Hawai?i's political history is quite different.
In reply to Kumu ʻAlika

Re: Arapaho Tribe Teaches the Young

by Keoʻahunui Uale Warrington -
Mahalo Kumu for sharing this article and the slide show with us. The Arapaho story is a familiar one and I am happy for them that they recognized and are actively revitalizing their language. For I agree with them that to lose their language would in essence mean losing themselves. It would be the loss of who they are.

This encourages me to be tenacious in my efforts to learn our language. At times I feel I'm "too old" to try and get discouraged; no more! Mahalo for keeping us moving forward, one word, one pepeke at a time!

Mahalo,
Keo'ahunui
In reply to Keoʻahunui Uale Warrington

Re: Arapaho Tribe Teaches the Young

by Kumu ʻAlika -
Mahalo nui e Keo?ahunui!  Pololei n? ?oe.  I mua k?kou.  Hiki n?!

na Kumu ?Alika